All of us desire to age gracefully and yet do not want to get old. We want to avoid all the aging signs such as wrinkles, dark spots, fine lines, etc and for that, we go looking for the best anti-wrinkle creams and the best anti-aging products.
But slathering yourself with creams regularly and hoping for miraculous results is just not going to bring desired results all on its own. The improvement does happen with best anti-wrinkle creams but that alone is not enough.
Factors that are responsible for wrinkles:
- Excessive Smoking
- Sun Damage: Light colored Skin is more susceptible to skin damage from the sun.
- Environmental Factors like pollution
- Lack of proper sleep
The expensive creams and lotions have modest benefits at the least. Not astounding! And any skin care product which is not prescribed by a doctor does not require any scientific research to prove their effectiveness as they are not drugs or food.
So, it’s highly unlikely that your regular or expensive skin care product has undergone scientific research or a study. The skin care products that are better than the others have the following ingredients that may help in reducing the anti-aging signs:
- The Grape seed extract is a natural anti-inflammatory extract that helps in reducing swelling and helps promote healing.
- The Coenzyme Q10 helps in reducing the fine lines and roughness of skin.
- The Niacinamide ingredient helps improving moisture and suppleness of skin.
Anti-aging tip: You Need More Than Creams To Remove Wrinkles
Spending a fortune on anti-wrinkle creams can be avoided if the skin is prevented from the damage before it has occurred. As they say, prevention is better than cure! And it is very much applicable here as well.
There are various ways to minimize the possibility of wrinkles and even erase them completely with following treatments and preventive measures:
- Retinoids: One of the most effective and proven medical treatments for reducing the signs of aging. The treatment employs the use of a form of vitamin A called retinol. Retinol is responsible for boosting collagen production that gives new life to the skin.
Also, check: Seyal Rosehip oil with anti-aging properties
The downside of this treatment is that it can take over 3 months to get visible results. The initial treatment can lead to redness and skin peeling which is unpleasant but the result is appreciated after all is said and done.
- Alpha-hydroxy acids: They include the naturally occurring acids such as glycolic and lactic acid and are safe to use beside temporary and mild irritation. AHAs can be used in peeling away the topmost layer of the skin to uncover the smoother skin underneath without any damage.
- Cinnamon Extract: It has been proven to induce collagen production to help in reducing the symptoms of aging. The downside is that the results of this treatment could take 4-6 months to show if treated this way on a regular basis. ∙ Amla Extract: Amla has numerous health benefits as it has therapeutic, medicinal and cosmetic properties and it also makes an integral part of the traditional Indian medicine. The treatment including amla extract improves the skin texture and promotes procollagen production which helps reduce any skin damage.
- Antioxidants: Vitamins A, C, and E, and beta-carotene containing products provide the skin sun protection to a degree. Though, the use of sunscreen is still highly advised.
- Moisturizers: Keeping the skin moisturized is a temporarily yet necessary step in reducing aging and skin damage. A healthy skin is well hydrated. Drinking plenty of water to keep your body hydrated wouldn’t hurt either.
- Microdermabrasion: This is a procedure that employs the use of a minimally abrasive instrument that gently “sands” the skin to remove the damaged outer layer of skin. Microdermabrasion has been explained in detail at www.timelessbeautysolutions.com (click here to read). An experienced professional can perform the treatment and the treatment can make a big difference. On the downside, the side effects include possible scarring and permanent change in skin color. Microdermabrasion can Reduce age spots, blackheads and hyperpigmentation Exfoliate the skin Reduce scarring, fine lines and wrinkles Reduce or remove enlarged pores Treat acne Help thicken the collagen.
- Laser Treatment: The lasers are used to stimulate the production of collagen to plump up the skin. With different types of lasers treatments available, it is best to consult a doctor to explore this treatment. Including duration of treatment, side effects, risks, costs, etc.
- Plastic surgery: The cosmetic surgeries like the facelifts are helpful to some people. It is best to discuss the procedure with a doctor before deciding anything.
- Ultrasound therapy: The Ultherapy is an FDA approved a technique that uses ultrasound to lift and tighten the skin on the face, neck, chest, and chin.
- Injections: Injections such as Botox are able to relax the muscles responsible for the frown lines and wrinkles. The result of the treatment lasts for several months and it needs to be repeated to sustain the result.
- Peels: The deeper peels use ingredients like salicylic acid and trichloroacetic acid that penetrate deeper into the skin and smooth the fine lines. The glycolic acid peels hardly make any difference with wrinkles but at this point, something is better than nothing. Usually, deeper the peel, more is the risk of getting side-effects like scarring and skin discoloration. Peels can be uncomfortable as well.
- Wear Sunscreen: By wearing sunscreen every time you are out in the sun is a start at preventing the skin damage caused due to exposure to harmful UVA and UVB rays of the sun.
- Eat Healthily: A healthy skin is only possible with a healthy body, so a healthy nutrient-rich diet is essential.
Several (if not all) top-rated anti-wrinkle creams promise instant results but keep in mind that no anti-aging cream can offer a magical cure to the wrinkles. There are limitations to even the best anti-aging cream out there. That is not to say that they are completely useless because they are not. But don’t just put all your eggs in a single basket. There are several natural ways to reduce wrinkles and other aging signs. Not to forget to take precaution before any damage is caused to the skin.
You may also like to read about “6 ways to use a self-tanner on face” in our earlier post.
Note: Consult an experienced doctor before deciding on any cosmetic procedure.
*This is a guest post by Roamy Sarganser of “Timeless Beauty Solutions.” She blogs about beauty & beauty products giving tips on different ways to fight wrinkles, what products to use or how you can create your own products with items you already have at home.*